Monday, March 24, 2008

A GRAND Sunday...

23rd March 2008: Sunday... And what a Sunday it proved to be. For 1 it was Easter...but that was not the reason why this particular Sunday rocked.

Grand Slam Sunday - that was the term ESPN gave to this special day. On this day champions and league leaders Manchester United were playing their greatest rival Liverpool and straight after this second placed Arsenal were playing London rivals and third placed Chelsea. The title race of the Barclays Premier League was quite easily the tightest in recent years, prior to this particular Sunday. But as expected the whole championship scenario just got a whole load more tight after it.

In the early kick off Man U faced archrival Liverpool at the Theatre of Dreams, Old Trafford, Manchester. THe game was built up as the Cristiano Ronaldo vs Fernando Torres clash. Both these young superstars have taken the world by storm ever since moving to England from the nearby nations of Portugal and Spain respectively. Looking at the rich goal scoring form that these two had been showing in recent games, the media had a good point in building the game around these two players. But still the whole rivalry between the Red Devils and the Reds was never left out either.

I was feeling distraught by around 6 in the evening as the game was starting at 7 and i had a train to catch at 7 25. I was returning to Manipal from Trivandrum and there was no way i couldn't get on that train and yet i seriously contemplated it!!!... Finally on the train i was recieving updates from my sis-in-law. God when I got the msg saying manu-1 liv-0, i was over the moon. I sat and had my dinner and then waited and prayed. Finally the mobile starts vibrating again and i open the message rather apprehensively. But then i read: Man U 3 - Liv 0.... I read that 1 line over and over again for abt 5 times and then get up and punch the air (the chechimar sittin nxt 2 me must hav thought tat i was mad!!!)...

Chelsea also beat Arsenal 2-1 later on in the day, taking over second place in the league. Now they are 5 points behinh Man U and still have 2 play the Red Devils at their home ground of Stamford Bridge. But still my bet now (as it has always been) is on the exciting team of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Grand Slam Sunday was also a Grand Prix Sunday as the Malaysian Grand Prix was taking place at the Sepang International F1 Arena. The second race of the 2008 F1 calendar was emphatically won by another team in red - Ferrari. For the first time since the Belgium GP last year, the front row of the grid was all red as Felippe Massa took pole alongside his teammate and reigning world champion Kimi Raikkonen. In the end, Massa ended up spinning put mid-way through the race and Kimi won. A full 20 seconds ahead of Robert Kubica of BMW who finished second. Heikki Kovelainen of Maclaren took third while the young pretender to Raikkonen's throne and winner of the 1st race of the season, Lewis Hamilton, came home in 5th place.

All in all, for me Sunday was GRAND!... My favourite football team and F1 team racked up wins and I was also on my way back to Manipal with my new laptop. Especially coming after Friday on which day I broke up with my girlfriend (Yes I knw - the post 'Is it 2 young 2 fall in love' was actually abt me, I admit now!...), Sunday was fabulous. But now I have to say, the world seems a wider place than it used to seem........ I guess we broke up at somewhat the right time for both of us.

Anyway enough about that sorry episode...this post is suppossed to be about a GRAND Sunday... and that it sure was....

Ending with - Lets go Red Devils and Prancing Horse!...

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

- BiBinhio

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

Abhilash Manapatt said...

Hi vineeth,

I am abhilash, i would like to know if you will be interested in blogging/posting articles for my cricket website ?

its on ipl and i need passionate cricket fans to write on general news.

do let me know :)

BiBinhio said...

Heh abhilash... lemme knw abt ur site and send me a mail with details 2 vinnu71989@yahoo.co.in

thnx,

vineeth.